Another beautiful day for ice cream- With close to 700 attendees the 2017 Flavor Contest was a huge hit. People tried 24 brand new flavors (ideas submitted by customers!) and picked their favorite and the best in show will now be made at Izzy’s!
2017 Flavor Contest Best in Show Winner: Olivia Barr with her flavor “Raspberry Little Italy”- a Vanilla Bean and mascarpone cheese ice cream with chocolate chunks and a raspberry swirl. Congratulations Olivia!
2017 Flavor Contest Finalists (winners listed for each additional category)
- Joel Stockwell, “Gluay Buad Chee”:
- Coconut ice cream infused with cinnamon, with long grain rice and chunks of banana. Gluay Buad Chee is a Thai dessert of sweet sticky rice and bananas covered in hot coconut milk. It’s a sweet, warm, porridge-like bowl of happiness. Your coconut ice cream infused with a little cinnamon, the rice for texture and the bananas for a different flavor taste profile would be fantastic. If you’d like to try the inspiration, it’s made and sold at Sen Yai Sen Lek.
- Deanna Olson, “Mango Blueberry Ginger”: FRUIT WINNER
- Combining the flavors of mangos and blueberries in a cake or vanilla base makes for a nice summertime treat, and adding a bit of ginger to the mix would give it a zing!
- Aaron Morris, “Raven’s Eye”:
- Blackberry ice cream with a habanero pepper swirl.
- Michelle Hample, “Blu Limón”:
- Blueberry, lemon and ricotta cheese ice cream.
- Adrian Diaz, “Carta Blanca”: CHOCOLATE WINNER
- Oats, chunky peanut butter, chocolate shavings, butterscotch chips, and a sprinkle of sea salt with a chocolate base
- Will Crain, “Derby Day”:
- Chocolate ice cream with bourbon whiskey and chunks of pecan pie. Based on the Kentucky Derby Pie.
- Kelly Krech, “Italian Chocolate Amore”:
- rich chocolate (dark or regular) mixed with olive oil, pistachios, and sea salt! Yummmmmm!!! At the very least you must try it (then you will surely be convinced)
- Ashlee Alberts, “Chocolate Kraken”:
- Chocolate (made from K’ul chocolate) espresso ice cream with caramel swirl, sepculoos cookie pieces, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger and Kraken spiced rum.
- Zoe Wood, “Astronaut Blast”: KIDS WINNER
- Marshmallow ice cream with swirls of caramel and chocolate chips. Crushed malted milk balls
- Ben Rumple, “Icy De Light”:
- Devils Food Cake Chocolate ice cream base, crushed kit kat bars, caramel swirl, brownie bites
- Greta Erkkinen, “Razzle Dazzle Dazzle Berry Pie”:
- Ice cream made from blackberries, strawberries, raspberries and marshmallow creme. Add chunks of pie crust and real berries. No nuts please.
- Lydia Dearking, “Angels on a Cloud”:
- Vanilla ice cream, salted caramel cream cheese chunks, angel food cake bits, raspberry pieces.
- Sara Pluth, “Big Cheese”:
- Vanilla Bean ice cream with figs, goat cheese and walnuts mixed in
- Grace Nell, “Ooh-La-La-Almond”:
- Would taste like candied roasted nuts just like they have at the fair! The ice cream base would be brown sugar and cinnamon. Then add in a honey vanilla swirl and top it all off with lots and lots of toasted almonds.
- Dana Gilbert, “Puddin’ on the Ritz”:
- Vanilla ice cream with chocolate and butterscotch pudding swirls and Ritz Crackers.
- Jane Carlson, “Alfajores”: MIX INS WINNER
- Alfajores ice cream is a deconstruction of the alfajores Havanna cookie found in Argentina, which is a sandwich cookie filled with milk caramel spread and covered in dark chocolate. Dulce de leche base, there would be a mix in of graham crackers that have a thick covering of dark chocolate crumbled and mixed into the dulce de leche base.
- Melinda Spike, “St. Lucia Day”:
- Saffron Vanilla ice cream with lingonberry swirl and annas pepparkakor bits.
- Olivia Barr, “Raspberry Little Italy”: SPECIALTY WINNER
- Think Raspberry Mascarpone from Lunds. Some type of vanilla ice cream base with mascarpone cheese as part of the base, a nice vanilla bean flavor, either chocolate fudge ripples throughout or little chocolate chunks, with raspberry pieces and raspberry sauce swirl throughout ice cream as well.
- Isabel Pereira, “Cardamom Pot de Creme”:
- Based on a milk chocolate pot de creme with cardamom and caramel. Topped with chocolate crunchy pearls. The ice cream would be cardamom based with caramel and chocolate swirls with crunchy chocolate bits (pearls are kind of speedy).
- Will Boyle, “Curried Carrot”:
- Curried carrot puree (recipe included), carrots, butter, salt, curry, garam masala. Splash of champagne vinegar
- Kyle Helgeson, “Cookie Butter Crunch”: BAKED GOODS WINNER
- A light coffee base (Peace Coffee), Lotus Biscoff cookies, cookie butter swirls (Trader Joe’s Speculoos Cookie Butter), a hint of brown sugar.
- Carolyn Cherry, “German Choco-latte”:
- a combination of Izzy’s peace coffee ice cream with the Cafe Latte German Chocolate Icing and brownie chunks swirled in.
- Abby Trout, “Dairy Daze”:
- Buttermilk custard ice cream base, Chunks of Butter cookies, Bits of brown butter fudge, buttered cashews, condensed milk ripple?
- Jill McGrane, “Brown Bread”:
- Brown bread ice cream will have a brown sugar and vanilla ice cream base. Using icelandic brown bread from local shop Breadsmith. Break up bread into small pieces, toss with butter, sugar and cinnamon and bake until toasted deep brown. Mix into brown sugar ice cream, well mixed in so that there are pieces in each bite.